Headlines

6/recent/ticker-posts

Fire Destroys Chinhoyi Grannies' House



BY STAFF REPORTER

A NONAGENARIAN couple in Chinhoyi lost valuable property, food and clothing items after their house was gutted by fire on Wednesday night. 
The shocking incident occurred in Chinhoyi's Hunyani high density suburb, at around midnight.
It is suspected the blaze was caused by a lit candle which was left unattended as the couple and their grandson retired to bed.
When NewsAnchor visited the scene Thursday morning, the aged homeowners identified as Janet Banda (91) and her husband Fidson Mpekeso (92) were still coming to terms with the tragedy.
The two were asleep when the blaze started and are counting themselves lucky to have escaped the inferno unhurt.
Banda told NewZimbabwe.com she was awoken by heat and a smell of some smoke, before alerting her husband, grandson and neighhours who rushed to douse the flames.
"I felt some heat and a smell of smoke and that prompted me to wake up. I screamed for help and people rushed to the scene and tried to put out the fire while also rescuing us.
"Unfortunately, we lost our valuable property, literally everything in the fire. I am still in shock and disbelief," said a distraught Banda.
Chinhoyi legislator, Peter Mataruse visited the scene. He appealed to the community to assist the family as it tries to cope with the disaster.
"They have been left with nothing to eat and wear. So I request the community to contribute to the family with some food and clothes," said Mataruse.
Members of the public who wish to donate to the couple can contact +263 775 187 795 for further information.

Post a Comment

0 Comments